[Haskell-cafe] Re: What do _you_ want to see in FGL?

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Mon Apr 26 05:33:56 EDT 2010

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic schrieb:
>> I would vote against these experimental features like associated types
>> or MPTC and FD.  I prefer plain type parameters for data types, but
>> that does not fit well together with type classes.
>
> Why don't you like extensions?  I used to feel the same way, but then
> someone pointed out to me that just because Haskell98 doesn't have them
> doesn't mean they aren't good/useful, and we should be coding for
> _modern_ Haskell.

My feeling is, that the last words about fancy type class extension are
not spoken yet. Already the simple classes have disadvantages (wrt
multiple instances), that i.e. parameterized modules solve differently
(but maybe also not good enough, yet).

Parametrized data types, hofs, purity, etc. are proven concepts also
found in other functional languages that I prefer to stick to.

Cheers Christian