[Haskell-cafe] I need help getting started

mitchell at kaplan2.com mitchell at kaplan2.com
Sun Apr 25 11:48:03 EDT 2010

Hi Ivan,

I have read through parts of the tutorials, and also purchased "Real World
Haskell" - O'Reilly.  It's not homework, if I were that young I might have
more patience with my progress.

Actually I going through the problems in ProjectEuler, and primarily using
Mathematica.  But it's slow.  I thought that this would be a good
opportunity to learn Haskell.  I read about the various functional languages
available, ocaml, ML, Erlang and flirted briefly with F#.  I wanted to find
one that was fast.  Haskell looked like a good choice.  Also, many of the
people solving the ProjectEuler problems were using it (and of course a
million other languages).

I could definitely use a library function.  I looked and found 2 libraries
that seemed to have one.  However, I am beginning and haven't really learned
enough to figure out how to load the libraries.  Also, I wanted a
deterministic one, and I think I recall that one was probabilistic.

Thanks for getting back to me.

     Mitchell