[Haskell-cafe] The instability of Haskell libraries

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Apr 24 03:12:52 EDT 2010

On 24/04/10 01:34, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> Keith Sheppard <keithshep at gmail.com> writes:
>> What Gwern said for 1) and 3)
>>
>>> 2) Not all head repositories are kept stable/buildable at all times.
>>>

>> Isn't it bad practice to not have a buildable repo? In any case
>> package owners would be free to use or ignore the data as they like,
>> but I'm pretty sure it would be useful to many.
>
> I often work on different sub-parts of my packages; as such the interactions
> between them might not work.  I don't see why I should ensure that it does,
> as the repository is a _development environment_ not a release.

I don't think anyone will *force* you to behave in a particular way.  If you
don't see the use of a service like this one then don't use it.  It's really
that simple.  The service could even demand opt-in to not waste time/energy on
unstable repos.

> That said, there are some projects which generally _are_ buildable/usable
> for their repositories (e.g. XMonad and XMonad-Contrib).  But these are
> large multi-person projects with moving targets; the stuff i write is being
> developed by myself only.

Then there are developers like me, who even on small one-man projects try to
keep the official/published repo buildable at all times.  I keep my
development environment local or sometimes in an un-advertised repo.

/M