[Haskell-cafe] Does anyone know the reason for differeng measurements in profiling under -threaded?

Iustin Pop iusty at k1024.org
Thu Apr 22 20:19:33 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:14:29AM +0200, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am asking if anyone has seen the following behaviour from GHC under
> -threaded and heavy use of File I/O, network I/O and STM use. After
> having run Combinatorrent for a while and then terminating it, we get
> the following output from the RTS in GC statistics:

[snip]

I don't know GHC internals, but from the description of the program (and
the fact that you don't use more than one core), I wonder why you use
-threaded?

How does the behaviour change if you use a single-threaded runtime?

(I'm asking this as the single-threaded runtime can be much faster in
certain use-cases.)

regards,
iustin