[Haskell-cafe] Bulk Synchronous Parallel

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 23:10:33 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Aaron D. Ball
<aarondball+haskell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't need a tool that automatically figures out how to distribute
> any workload in an intelligent way and handles all the communication
> for me.  If I have the basic building block, which is the ability to
> serialize a Haskell expression with its dependencies and read them
> into another Haskell instance where I can evaluate them, I can handle
> the other pieces, which are
>
> - passing strings back and forth in whatever way is convenient
> - deciding how to divide up my workload.

Alice/ML is the place to look for this technology.

http://www.ps.uni-saarland.de/alice/

The project may be dead (I don't know), but they did have the most
sophisticated take on pickling that I've seen. It's an ML variant,
with futures, running on top of the same platform used by Mozart/Oz of
CTM fame.

Why do you want to pass strings around?

cheers
peter