[Haskell-cafe] Bulk Synchronous Parallel

Aaron D. Ball aarondball+haskell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 14:29:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 14:14, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> Eden is active, afaik,
>
>    http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~eden/

Unfortunately, Eden is one of the examples I had in mind when
referring to distributed Haskell projects as overly complicated and
[for practical purposes] dead.  Their last release available for
download was in 2006.  Their beta is "available upon request", which
doesn't raise my confidence in the level of active development or
openness of the project.  From the notes here:

> They just had a hackathon in St Andrews,
>
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/HackPar

they don't seem to have even a source code repository yet, and they
appear to be bogged down in that complexity I mentioned.  It looks
like they want to engage large, academically interesting problems and
produce papers, as opposed to producing small tools that solve simple
problems in simple ways.

The practical solution, as a result, continues to be "use another language".