[Haskell-cafe] ANN: forkable-monad 0.1

Neil Brown nccb2 at kent.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 10:39:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

This is quite a neat generalisation of forkIO, and something I've wanted
in the past.

My comment would be about the MonadIO m requirement for ForkableMonad.
I understand that conceptually it's a nice thing to have.  But
practically, I don't think it's necessary, and could be a little
restrictive -- I could imagine potentially having a newtype-wrapped
monad that doesn't have a MonadIO instance, but does have a
ForkableMonad instance.  I tried removing the MonadIO constraint, and it
works as long as you add a Monad constraint either to the class or to
the ReaderT and StateT instances.  That depends if you can imagine an
instance of ForkableMonad that wasn't a Monad (an applicative
perhaps)... probably not, especially given the name.

In short: I recommend changing MonadIO m to Monad m on the class.

I came up with this instance for ContT:

instance (ForkableMonad m) => ForkableMonad (ContT r m) where
  forkIO act = lift $ forkIO (runContT act (const $ return undefined))

I don't know if that's useful and/or correct, though.

Thanks,

Neil.