[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: hamlet 0.0.0

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Apr 20 16:29:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'd like to announce the first release of Hamlet[1], a templating system
which is fully compile-time checked. Templates are parsed via quasi-quoting,
giving you greater confidence in the validity of your templates. The syntax
is inspired by Haml[2]; however, it is most definitely its own language,
avoiding embedding of arbitrary code in favor of a more strict view-logic
separation.

Finally, it has a goal of allowing high performance uses; to facilitate
this, it allows calling monadic code from inside the template, and can use
enumerators for traversing elements. While these features could be abused to
allow templates to perform unintended side-effects, the performance gains
allowed by them are sometimes essential.

I have started a documentation site for all Yesod-related packages[3], and
in particular there is a Hamlet section[4]. I've also put up a small blog
post[5] on this release, which explains how Hamlet fits into the Yesod
ecosystem. (For those not in the know, Yesod is a web framework I'm working
on.)

Michael

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hamlet-0.0.0
[2] http://haml-lang.com/