[Haskell-cafe] Bulk Synchronous Parallel

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:05:45 EDT 2010

2010/04/19 Gregory Crosswhite <gcross at phys.washington.edu>:
> Thanks for the link;  my ultimate interest, though, is in an architecture
> that could scale to multiple machines rather than multiple cores with shared
> memory on a single machine.  Has there been any interest and/or progress in
> making DPH run on multiple machines and other NUMA architectures?

  I wonder what it would take to do this.

  One approach is some compiler "magic" that provides you with an RTS
  that can communicate with other RTSen over TCP and chunks the computation
  "appropriately". Or maybe you give it a chunk size and it gives you some
  number of executables that find one another using Bonjour. Values not on
  "this node" are found via some hashing scheme (the same scheme used to
  chunk in the first place).

  There is a lot to know about this problem area.

  It would be a great alternative to OpenMPI.

--
Jason Dusek