[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ocaml for Haskellers tutorial

Pierre-Etienne Meunier pierreetienne.meunier at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 22:56:22 EDT 2010

Then maybe you should try godi. It is the camlist's cabal, but while the authors of cabal have really done a good job, godi is still quite poorly written, and has not gained wide acceptance in the community.

And, yes, there are cool applications written in ocaml. People claim that the best application ever written in ocaml is unison, but also since it is the only language french engineers learn at school, there are a lot of private applications such as the controller for line 14 of the parisian metro ("the" automatic line in Paris), or maybe things at airbus. And of course, coq is also written in ocaml.

And, if the organization that developed caml (inria) had not stopped financing it, there would be a concurrent GC (in fact the algorithm exists, but has never been implemented), the FFI would probably be as nice as haskell's, and more than one person in the world would understand the code of ocamlc,
Also, maybe there would be a norm for ocaml, and microsoft wouldn't have dumped the language as f#.

Conclusion : if you want to be a researcher, come to France, it is pretty cool here...