[Haskell-cafe] Confusions about the Haskell Platform (for Mac)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 06:37:33 EDT 2010

Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> writes:
> Personally, I prefer to separate the name of the language from the name of
> the development tools, because I think that causes unnecessary confusion.
> End-users do not need to care about Haskell, unlike Java since they need the
> JRE, so potential developers and students are the audience. This group needs
> the Haskell Platform for developing with Haskell, and having the tools
> referred to as "Haskell Platform" is clear enough (imho) without having to
> call the tools "Haskell."

I think the partial confusion here is that most "newer" languages have
the same name as their defacto implementation (Python [though the
implementation is technically CPython], Perl, Ruby, etc.).

Whilst Haskell has other implementations apart from GHC, none of the
others are as featureful, etc.  So pretty much if you want "Haskell",
then you want GHC.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com