[Haskell-cafe] Confusions about the Haskell Platform (for Mac)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 06:37:33 EDT 2010

Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> writes:
> Personally, I prefer to separate the name of the language from the name of
> the development tools, because I think that causes unnecessary confusion.
> End-users do not need to care about Haskell, unlike Java since they need the
> JRE, so potential developers and students are the audience. This group needs
> the Haskell Platform for developing with Haskell, and having the tools
> referred to as "Haskell Platform" is clear enough (imho) without having to
> call the tools "Haskell."

I think the partial confusion here is that most "newer" languages have
the same name as their defacto implementation (Python [though the
implementation is technically CPython], Perl, Ruby, etc.).

Whilst Haskell has other implementations apart from GHC, none of the
others are as featureful, etc.  So pretty much if you want "Haskell",
then you want GHC.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com