[Haskell-cafe] Embedded funcional programming?

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Apr 18 06:27:16 EDT 2010

>> I'm new to this, so the only problems I see are finding a compiler
>> that targets the platform (ARM7, for instance, or others) and
>> uploading the compiled firmware to the device.
>

> You might find that the extra RAM requirements for a non-C language
> becomes a problem - especially when it manifestly translates to extra
> euros/dollars on the "BOM" costs (aka bill-of-materials).

About 15 years ago, I wrote my PhD Thesis on the topic of "Functional
Programming and Embedded Systems".
     ftp://ftp.cs.york.ac.uk/pub/malcolm/thesis.html

Back then, I was using the Gofer interpreter (a forerunner of Hugs),
compiling Haskell to bytecode, and targetted at the M68000.  Bytecode
is one important way to reduce the RAM requirements.  An interpreter
can also be quite parsimonious with heap allocation - as I recall, I
extended the embedded board from 256kb of RAM to 768kb (yes, note
kilobytes, not Mb) in anticipation of heap pressure, but in the end
came nowhere near needing all of that.

Regards,
     Malcolm