[Haskell-cafe] Functional Dependencies conflicts

Limestraël limestrael at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 16:01:23 EDT 2010

Yes! Sorry, I forgot a bit:
Binary types are automatically made instances of Binarizable/Unbinarizable
(that's my line 16):

instance (Binary a) => Binarizable a a where
  toBinary = id

instance (Binary a, Monad m) => Unbinarizable a a m where
  fromBinary = return

To me, the functional dependency in:
class (Binary b) => Binarizable a b | a -> b
meant that for each a, there only one type b that can match.

That's what I want: for every Binary type 'a', the matching Binary is also
'a'
And for GameObject, the sole matching type is String.
In other words, GameObject implies String.
I would have undestood the error if GameObject was also an instance of
Binary (then the two instances would match), but it's not the case...

Is my FunDep wrong?

I done this especially because I didn't wanted to declare each type one by
one instance of Binarizable,
Haskell type system normally enables me to automatically define a Binary as
an instance of Binarizable.