[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HaskellTorrent/Combinatorrent v0.2.0

Stephan Maka stephan at spaceboyz.net
Sat Apr 17 15:05:19 EDT 2010

Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:
> * Change all use of CML to STM:
>     Overall, it looks like this change improved the code. There are still some
>     need for cleanup after the bomb was thrown, but it does look like it will
>     turn out positively. If CML put you off the track for hacking on
>     Combinatorrent, you can now do it with STM!

That's interesting! Honestly, CML put me off. But that was by assumption
only: with an Erlang background I am very aware of actor concurrency,
but feared to miss Erlang's very loose coupling of processes, together
with registering processes by name and fighting Haskell's precise
typing.

I bet CML has the solutions, but STM/shared memory feels much more
natural outside Erlang.

> * Introduce RTS benchmarks:
>     See http://jlouis.github.com/combinatorrent where we plot SVG-based
>     sparklines for various key RTS parameters over time (works best in Opera or
>     Chrome). A slow-changing regression has a much harder time hiding now.

Interesting too, but the graphs are still way too small and have way too
few data to be intuitive. I recommend the Chart library that is the
foundation to the Criterion graphs as well.

Astro