[Haskell-cafe] Ocaml for Haskellers tutorial

C K Kashyap ckkashyap at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 23:35:10 EDT 2010

I am a little surprised by the "shortcomings" of Haskell mentioned in the
thread.

I was under the impression that Haskell was closest to Nirvana on the
usefulness vs safety graph.

In the paper "Why FP matters" - Laziness is stated as one of the two key
features of FP that allows conceptual modularity! If I understand right,
Laziness is not a first class stuff in OCaml - is that not right?

If I understand correctly - Not allowing side-effects allow for equational
reasoning - which in turn allows you to "reason" about the program better.
If I understand right - OCaml allows side effects right?

Jeff, could you please expand on the tail recursion bit - what do you mean
when you say, in OCaml, "one has to write tail recursively in OCaml"?

Please note, I am still a Haskell (FP) learner - My questions above are only
meant for me to understand things better.

Regards,
Kashyap

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:12 AM, jeff p <mutjida at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> One major thing I haven't seen explicitly mentioned yet in this thread
> is tail recursion. You have to write tail recursively in OCaml (or any
> strict language) or you will blow the stack. While tail recursion is
> often wrong (in terms of efficiency) in Haskell, it is always right in
> OCaml.
>
> -Jeff

Regards,
Kashyap