[Haskell-cafe] GHC, odd concurrency space leak

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 17:51:14 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Daniel Fischer
<daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:

>> Can some core expert please look at these and explain the difference?
>>

> I'm interested in an explanation too.

+1

The behaviour is consistent. GHC 6.8.3, 6.10.4, 6.12.1 and
6.13-20100416 all agree on the space leak. Here is the minimal program
I have with the leak:

\begin{code}
{-# LANGUAGE GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving #-}

module Main where
import Control.Monad.State
import Control.Concurrent

newtype Process b c = Process (StateT b IO c)
  deriving (Monad, MonadIO, MonadState b)

run :: b -> Process b c -> IO (c, b)
run st (Process p) = runStateT p st

spawn :: b -> Process b () -> IO ThreadId
spawn st p = forkIO $ run st p >> return ()

p1 :: Process () ()
p1 = forever $ return ()

startp1 :: IO ThreadId
startp1 = spawn () p1

startp2 :: IO ThreadId
startp2 = spawn () (forever $
                       do liftIO startp1
                          liftIO $ putStrLn "Delaying"
                          liftIO $ threadDelay (10 * 1000000))

main = do
  putStrLn "Main thread starting"
  startp2
  threadDelay (1 * 1000000)
\end{code}

.. so it looks like it is the state monad. I used ghc-core to print
out this program in Core-format, killed all the type casts from
System-F_c and inspected the code. I can't see what would make any
problem there, but that was my first use of Core, so I might have
overlooked something. The only thing I can see is that we "split" the
State# RealWorld whenever we fork, but I think that is expected
behaviour. The only other culprit I could guess at is the exception
catch# primops in there.

Should I file this as a bug? It has some bug-like qualities to it. In
any case, what is going on is quite complicated so a resolution would
be nice. If for nothing else to understand what is going on.

--
J.