[Haskell-cafe] Simple game: a monad for each player

Limestraël limestrael at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 10:43:20 EDT 2010

Yves, that is exactly how I designed my program so far.
Human player needs a monad IO, AI needs just a monad, whatever it is, and I
make both run in IO.

And, as you said, the type of the ai (bot :: Monad m => Player m) contains
no IO, so I know that, even if I make it run in IO, it won't make any
side-effect.

My problem was, for example, if I want a player to run in its OWN monad.
Human uses IO, which is unique and shared by all the human players in the
program.
But what if I want an AI that remember every former opponent's move, so that
it could adapt its reflexion all along the game?
Then this AI would have to run in its own State monad, for instance.