[Haskell-cafe] Cabal dependency hell

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Apr 12 07:37:35 EDT 2010

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> writes:

> Here are a few things which I would like to see implemented that would
> help all this:

>       * Build reporting in the hackage server

>         The idea here is that cabal sends back anonymous reports to the
>         server to say if a package compiled or not, and against what
>         versions of dependencies. This would make it clearer to
>         maintainers if their dependency versions are correct.

It could also be checked before compilation.  This would provide an
incentive for the user to contribute, since she feels she's already
getting something tangible back.  And we've already asserted that the
network is available.

Perhaps it would also be possible to suggest library upgrades likely to
remedy the problem in case of a build failure?

-k