[Haskell-cafe] Re: GSoC: Hackage 2.0

Matthew Gruen wikigracenotes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 21:23:51 EDT 2010

The proposal as I submitted it is here:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=0Afa5MxwyB_zYZGhjanNrdjNfMjkzZjloOWNienY&pageview=1&hgd=1&hl=en

And it might need further revision as I talk to Duncan and the
community. The advanced social features wouldn't get deployed by the
end of the summer, but by that point the project would have structural
integrity enough to write and release the features relatively easily,
as well as act as a web service for their functionality. About
concerns of excessive Web 2.0-ness: I agree that some of the features
should be optional, particularly ones which duplicate other formal and
informal bug-tracking systems. Ones which provide information to rank
and navigate packages effectively are more essential. There's a lot to
learn from other projects with similar systems and Haskellers'
experience with those.

Cheers,
Matt Gruen