[Haskell-cafe] Re: GSoC: Hackage 2.0

Matthew Gruen wikigracenotes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 11:33:52 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Job Vranish <job.vranish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Malcolm Wallace
> <malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> How much cooler it would be, if the wiki-like comment on Hackage could
>> automatically be converted into a darcs/git/whatever patch, and mailed to
>> the package author/maintainer by Hackage itself.
>>
> This would indeed be awesome :)
>
> Though I think I would prefer to select, from a list of comments, which ones
> I would like to include, and then click the "Download darcs/git/whatever
> patch" button. (rather than get hit by emails )
>
> - Job

That's what this proposal is, suggested a year ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/8bylw/ask_haskell_reddit_how_can_we_improve_the/c08tc0q

The wiki way to go about it where changes can still be sent upstream
is to make patches for every documentation change (using a simple
editing interface, not the HTML source), and update Hackage's Haddock
tree with the patch. The author can then apply the patches. If he
doesn't patch anything but submits a new version of the source, the
patches will just be reapplied again, with prompts to resolve
conflicts which he or others can resolve. Complicated, but I think it
would work.

/Matt