[Haskell-cafe] Confusions about the Haskell Platform (for Mac)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Apr 7 23:40:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Malcolm Wallace <
malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:

>  The platform installer is supposed to erase previous platform
>>>>>

>>> I would consider that a serious bug.
>>>

>> "Lacking a feature I would consider essential" /= "a bug" in my opinion,
>> especially when the desirability of the feature is in question.
>>

> It is not merely that a feature is lacking.  Removing software from my
> machine without my knowledge or permission is just wrong.  (I was bitten by
> this once before, with a ghc installer for Mac.  It removed the previous
> working ghc, without telling me.  Then I discovered that a library I needed
> could not be compiled by the new version of ghc. The old ghc installer then
> refused to delete the new ghc and revert to the old one, because it could
> not imagine why anyone would want to "downgrade".)

If I understand correctly, the issue at hand is that the uninstaller step is
removing previous libraries and ghc?

If so, then I completely agree with Malcolm here.  Having the installer only
allow one version of ghc means I'll keep using the tarball provided by GHC
HQ instead of the nice shiny installer for the HP.  I need to be able to
test things on multiple GHC versions for the foreseeable future.

I have a workaround, but I implore you to please kindly reconsider your
stance here.

Jason