[Haskell-cafe] Confusions about the Haskell Platform (for Mac)

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Wed Apr 7 20:41:17 EDT 2010

Am Donnerstag 08 April 2010 01:47:19 schrieb Ivan Miljenovic:
> On 8 April 2010 08:25, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag 08 April 2010 00:09:34 schrieb Ivan Lazar Miljenovic:
> >> etc. ...
> >
> > Such as?
>
> To avoid stating these all over again:
> http://ivanmiljenovic.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/repeat-after-me-cabal-is-
>not-a-package-manager/ (specifically the section titled "Why you should
> use your
> distribution’s package management system").

Fair enough, Cabal/Hackage/cabal-install certainly isn't a package manager
(good that I never claimed it was :), I just use it to manage my Haskell
source packages; no, I won't stop doing that, I'm not going to switch
distros, I like SuSE, I didn't like Ubuntu or sidux, I might give Gentoo a
try when I buy my next computer, though).

However, I wanted to know what the etc stood for, with taking care of
dependencies and uninstalling already mentioned. Upgrading, yes, but what
else?