[Haskell-cafe] Re: Asynchronous exception wormholes kill modularity

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Wed Apr 7 11:20:52 EDT 2010

Simon Marlow wrote:

> I came to the conclusion that counting nesting layers doesn't solve
> the problem: the wormhole still exists in the form of nested unmasks.
> That is, a library function could always escape out of a masked
> context by writing
>
>    unmask $ unmask $ unmask $ ...
>
> enough times.
[...]
> mask :: ((IO a -> IO a) -> IO b) -> IO b
> mask io = do
>    b <- blocked
>    if b
>       then io id
>       else block $ io unblock
>
> to be used like this:
>
> a `finally` b =
>    mask $ \restore -> do
>      r <- restore a `onException` b
>      return r
>
> So the property we want is that if I call a library function
>
>    mask $ \_ -> call_library_function
>
> then there's no way that the library function can unmask exceptions.
> If all they have access to is 'mask', then that's true.
[...]
> It's possible to mis-use the API, e.g.
>
>    getUnmask = mask return

Given that both the "simple" mask/unmask and your alternate proposal
have backdoors, is the extra complexity really worth it?

The problem with the existing API is that it's not possible even for
well-behaved library code to use block/unblock without screwing up
callers. With the simple mask/unmask, the rule is simply that you don't
call unmask except within the context of your own mask calls.

Ganesh