[Haskell-cafe] Re: Announce: hothasktags

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 07:19:12 EDT 2010

On 04/07/2010 09:23 AM, Evan Laforge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Luke Palmer<lrpalmer at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> VIm only for now, since I don't know if emacs tags format supports
>> scoped tags.  I am aware that it is not perfect -- patches and bug
>> reports welcome.
>>
> This program generates a tag for each reference to a symbol:
>
> Derive.PitchDeriver     Derive/Derive.hs        98;"    file:Cmd/Cmd.hs
> Derive.PitchDeriver     Derive/Derive.hs        98;"    file:Cmd/Play.hs
> Derive.PitchDeriver     Derive/Derive.hs        98;"
> file:Cmd/ResponderSync.hs
> ... [ 20 more ] ...
>
> The vim tag documentation says these are "static" tags, and implies
> they are meant to apply to symbols only valid within the same file,
> but this is clearly not the case.  Actually, the vim doc implies that
> only "file:" is defined, and doesn't talk about "scoped tags" so I'm
> not sure what is going on.  Anyway, whenever I go to a tag I have to
> first step through a message that says "1 of 25" or so.  There's one
> for each reference in the tags file, even though those are references
> in other files.
>
> What's going on?  I even checked the current docs at vim.org and they
> don't mention a file:xyz form either.

As far as I know, there is nothing like "file:xyz" only "file:". This is
to support static tags which I would not call "scoped tags" because they
know only one scope: the file scope. Between, ghci can generate tags
file for you with static tags too in ghc 6.12.1. The ticket which
discusses this feature and also discusses emacs support for static tags
is here:

Peter.