[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org re-design

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Apr 6 21:25:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Thomas Schilling <nominolo at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Ok, based on both your and Ivan's comments I modified a bit more.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/cumLj.png
>
> Making the top columns and the lower columns the same width looks bad,
> but I agree that the large margin between the blurb and the
> Documentation headline was too large.
> After I changed that, however, the Documentation section and the News
> sections did not line up anymore which looked even worse when the news
> section had a different background colour.  So instead the background
> colour is used for the quicklinks.  Removing any use of a background
> colour would makes things too boring, though.
> I also swapped the heading colour and the title bar colour.  So
> headings are now a very dark blue.
>
> The italic things in the blurb are actually not links (though they
> could be).  Without any styling the blurb would look too boring, so
> I'm using the same blue that the title bar uses.

We were discussing it briefly around the office and some things I recall
from that:
  a) There's only so much you can do with square boxes, flat colors, and a
single font.
  b) http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ is probably one of the best looking
programming language websites.
  c) the wiki bar at the top has got to go
  d) how do the designs look on mobile devices?

It looks like you've definitely tackled (c), so that's great.  It seems like
maybe we can draw on (b) to help address (a).

I wish I had more concrete suggestions.  Keep up the good work!

Jason