[Haskell-cafe] Confusions about the Haskell Platform (for Mac)

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Tue Apr 6 12:23:13 EDT 2010

Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> writes:

>     Too bad the installer
>     still doesn't work -- I'm working on it everyone, but the Mac installer
>     system is incredibly crufty and broken, and Snow Leopard broke a lot of
>     stuff for me.
>
> Is it possible to build the installer on a Leopard system/virtual
> machine such that it will install on a Snow Leopard system?

I think that's the approach I'm going to have to take. I still have my
Leopard DVD sitting around, I'll try building the thing in a VirtualBox
or maybe even doing a separate Leopard edition of the platform
installer.

>     > 7. Why can't I have a single .pkg file?
>
>     Short answer: I can't figure out how, and not for lack of trying,
>     either. What I do is take the binary installer that the GHC guys build
>     as a starting point. Despite many hours of reverse-engineering I cannot
>     for the life of me figure out how to extract the GHC installer package
>     from the binary "metapackage".
>
> I'm completely ignorant of how the installer packages work, but is it
> possible to have one package refer to another? Thus, one installer
> could initiate another. Then, at least there is only one click needed
> for the whole thing.

I don't have a good working solution for this, so the situation will
have to remain status quo (i.e. clicking two installers) for now.

>     The platform installer is supposed to erase previous platform
>     editions before it installs itself.
>
> That's good. Is it possible to include an uninstaller as well?

It would be pretty easy to bundle a shell script.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>