[Haskell-cafe] Re: libraries [was GUI haters]

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Apr 6 09:25:03 EDT 2010

Jean-Denis Koeck wrote:

> Question to the Mac users on the list: do you find that Qt applications
> feel "native enough" on your platform ? If not, any tips ?

Well, that depends on your definition of "enough". :)

The most important thing is probably that cross platform applications
always "look buggy", so if you can make sure that everything runs
smoothly and there are no drawing bugs or thelike, that's a big plus.

Qt applications will always look odd, the relative spacing is all off.
But using the appropriate system fonts adds a lot to consistency. Avoid
colored buttons and text.

Another key feature of "native" for me is that the menu bar is at the
top of the screen. Hence, all windows share the same menu. Furthermore,
the context menu should not list commands that are not available in the
top menu.

Not as important, but still unique to native Mac applications is that
accept a lot of drag & drop. For instance, to insert a picture into a
document, you can just drag & drop it from the Finder program; no need
to intricate "open file" dialogs. If you have a list of items that can
be rearranged, do so by means of drag & drop instead of strange Up and
Down buttons.

There's probably more, but that's what I can think of right now off the
top of my hat. :)

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--