[Haskell-cafe] Hackage accounts and real names

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 18:52:17 EDT 2010

2010/04/05 Casey McCann <syntaxglitch at gmail.com>:
> Not to mention that pseudonymity is overwhelmingly the norm on the
> internet.

  I suppose this is the collision of two cultures. Lambda the
  Ultimate also encourages (but does not require) real names. I
  think this has to do with academic values, really -- and the
  Haskell community has a lot of those. You don't submit papers
  under names like `solidsnack'.

  There certainly is a significant subculture of anonymity on
  the internet but maybe it has spread beyond its useful limits?
  There are places where it is helpful (Allberry's examples
  above come to mind) but I don't think contributing code to
  Hackage (or Cheeseshop or anything else) is like that.

--
Jason Dusek