[Haskell-cafe] Re: libraries [was GUI haters]

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 13:57:38 EDT 2010

Cocoa is probably the best GUI toolkit (open-source or otherwise) that
I've seen. However it ties your app to the Mac (and the iPhone). And I
don't believe there is a mature Haskell bridge.

Cross-platform GUI's like GTK don't look as nice but functions pretty
well for what they do. Unfortunately they are written in C/C++/.
Integration to Haskell is pretty nice but it seems like a bear to
install on Windows or Mac and hence there are deployment issues.

Until a cross-platform Haskell GUI toolkit is sufficiently mature,
that doesn't leave many options and all of them require spending time
coding in another language. If natively running code was a major
requirement, I'd  use a Java Swing app as a client connecting to
Haskell server - if not I'd go with a web frontend as previously
described.

And Javascript [1] is really not _that_ bad!

-deech

[1] http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596517742