[Haskell-cafe] Hughes' parallel annotations for fixing a space leak

Leon Smith leon.p.smith at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 15:13:46 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Heinrich Apfelmus
<apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
> which were introduced by John Hughes in his Phd thesis from 1983. They
> are intriguing! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to procure a copy of
> Hughes' thesis, either electronic or in paper. :( Can anyone help? Are
> there any other resources about this parallel approach?

Aye,  returning lazy pairs is one of those things that seems rather
magical in several respects.   Out of curiousity,  have you looked at
the unsafePerformIO thought experiment near the end of my Monad Reader
article?   It demonstrates that returning lazy pairs can introduce
multiple code paths through a single function,  reminiscent of (but
different than) multi-mode logical relations.   (Mercury, for example,
 optimizes relations differently depending on their mode.)

I too am interested in looking at Hughes' thesis,  I tried tracking it
down early last year with little success.

Best,
Leon