[Haskell-cafe] Hughes' parallel annotations for fixing a space leak

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 08:00:56 EDT 2010

On 31 March 2010 20:51, Heinrich Apfelmus <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
> As I understand it, GHC implements the technique from Sparud's paper, so
> this is a solved problem.

This is not my understanding. As far as I know, the STG machine has a
special notion of "selector thunks", which represent projections from
product data types. These selector thunks are evaluated by the GHC
garbage collector in the manner proposed by Wadler.

The Sparud solution is IMHO much cleaner, though!

Unfortunately I also have no idea where to obtain a copy of Hughes'
thesis "The Design and Implementation of Programming Languages".

Cheers,
Max