[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers hate GUIs!!

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Sat Apr 3 07:13:09 EDT 2010

Hi Jürgen,

Am Freitag, den 02.04.2010, 14:31 +0200 schrieb Jürgen Nicklisch-Franken:
> I cite from a mail from a potential user/contributor for my GUI app.
> What shall I say, how should he install gtk2hs? Is their a way to get a
> stable version from a changing darcs repo?

Is he trying to use or to develop leksah? If it is just using, the
correct answer should be, eventually, use the package provided by your
distribution. For this case, I guess I should put the leksah Debian
packages that I already have somewhere (maybe on leksah.org) until they
can be included in Debian proper.

Do you use a Debian-based system yourself? In that case, I can tell you
how to build these yourself so you will always have up-to-date packages
to give to interested users.

>         Each gtk2hs package (like glib-0.10.1) installed in that
>         non-standard
>         location by Ubuntu apt-get does at least have a package.conf
>         file, like
>         glib.package.conf. However, on inspection, the "id" fields are
>         missing,
>         and the "depends" fields look more like .cabal file "depends"
>         fields (no
>         ABI ID).

This is maybe not an issue with gtk2hs, but with the Debian packaging of
it. It would be best in these cases if the user would report the problem
to the maintainer of the package (e.g. using the reportbug tool on
Debian). Version numbers would also be helpful.

On my machine, I had no troubles building leksah with the gtk2hs library
provided by Debian. Note that the trouble of building those with
ghc-6.12 is already taken care of by the Debian maintainers.

Greetings,
Joachim
(with his Debian Haskell Team member hat on)

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer