[Haskell-cafe] wxHaskell ease of installation?

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 06:49:56 EDT 2010

Hi Anthony,

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 12:59:48 +0000, Anthony Cowley wrote:
> I have a GUI app that I deploy on Mac and Linux that uses OpenGL and
> wxHaskell. It has been a pretty good experience, but getting wx set up
> on every development machine is hairier than cabal install.

Is it still hairy with the 0.12 series of wxHaskell?

Whereas the 0.11 series wraps around a configure/make/make install
process with its Cabal file, the 0.12 series on hackage is 100%
Cabal based

On Ubuntu Linux, I think it was just a matter of

    sudo aptitude libwxgtk2.8-dev
    cabal install wx

On MacOS X with GHC 6.10 I could just install wxWidgets (native UI)
with MacPorts and cabal install wx

On MacOS X with GHC 6.12, things got a little hairier with the whole
iconv/MacPorts deal and I had to build my own wxWidgets and scrupulously
avoid any MacPorts usage.  Hopefully this is something Greg (who
maintains the Haskell stuff on MacPorts) can solve in time.

Thanks!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9