[Haskell-cafe] libraries [was GUI haters]

Warren Henning warren.henning at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 16:40:35 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Mads Lindstrøm
<mads_lindstroem at yahoo.dk> wrote:
> Looking at Wikipedia I can see that COBOL 2002[1] got user defined
> functions, but prior it was impossible to define your own functions. You
> could define sub-rutines (semantically similar to jsr/gosub in
> assembler/basic), but not functions that could be used like the build-in
> (intrinsic in COBOL speak) functions. Most COBOL programmers properly
> still do not use user-defined functions. So from their perspective, it
> is perfectly reasonable to see functions as part of the language.

Talking to old COBOL programmers who think their language is relevant
because current revisions have some modern features is very
depressing. The desperate look in their eyes cuts like a knife. The
best you can do is condescendingly tell them what they want to hear
the way you would to a small child.

Warren