[Haskell-cafe] FRP, arrows and loops

Christopher Lane Hinson lane at downstairspeople.org
Fri Apr 2 14:51:45 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Maciej Piechotka wrote:

> 1. How to interpret ArrowLoop? I have two possible implementations:
>
> type RunSF a = a Dynamic ()
>
> data SF a b c =
>  SF (a (Dynamic, b, RunSF, Set Unique) (c, Set Unique, SF a b c))
>
> (...)
>
> instance ArrowLoop (SF a) where
>  loop (SF f) = loop' f undefined
>                where loop' g d = proc (dyn, b, r, s) -> do
>                        ((c, d'), s, g') <- g <- (dyn, (b, d), r, s)
>                        returnA -< (c, s, loop' g' d')
>
> instance ArrowLoop a => ArrowLoop (SF a) where
>  loop (SF f) =  SF $! proc (d, b, r, s) -> do
>    rec ((c, d), s, f') <- f -< (d, (b, d), r, s)
>    returnA -< (c, s, loop f')

Neither of these compile through my eyeball, but I don't think it should
be possible for SF to be an Arrow-anything unless 'a' is also.

> 2. Why there is no ArrowIO in arrows? I.e.
>
> class Arrow a => ArrowIO a where
>  liftAIO :: Kleisli IO b c -> a b c
>
> (possibly
>
> class Arrow a => ArrowST a where
>  liftAST :: Kleisli ST b c -> a b c
> )

It would only be a convenience typeclass, and in that case why not just
have a generic ArrowKleisli with: (i -> m o) -> a i o

> 3. Why switch is needed? How to interpret switch with current
> continuation?
>
> I think switch is equivalent to ArrowChoice but do I miss something?

They are not equivalent.  A switch, roughly, provides a way to
persistently replace a running segment of a program with a different
program.

ArrowChoice is just a way of implementing if-then-else flow control in an
Arrow, which might be useful, but is not the point of FRP.

Imagine a light switch that remains on or off after you toggle it,
compared to a pressure switch that requires constant supervision.

Friendly,
--Lane