[Haskell-cafe] Integers v ints

Jens Blanck jens.blanck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 12:33:20 EDT 2010

On 1 April 2010 10:53, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com>wrote:

> Jens Blanck <jens.blanck at gmail.com> writes:
> > I was wondering if someone could give me some references to when and why
> the
> > choice was made to default integral numerical literals to Integer rather
> > than to Int in Haskell.
>
> My guess is precision: some numeric calculations (even doing a round on
> some Double values) will be too large for Int values (at least on
> 32bit).  Note that unlike Python, etc. Haskell doesn't allow functions
> like round to choose between Int and Integer (which is equivalent to the
> long type in Python, etc.).

Ints have perfect precision as long as you remember that it implements
modulo arithmetic for some power of 2. I was hoping that the reason would be
that Integers give more users what they expect, namely integers, instead of
something where you can add two positive numbers and wind up with a negative
number. The type for round is (Fractional a, Integral b) => a -> b, so that
can used to give Integer or Int as you like.

> I'd like to use this information to make an analogous case for defaulting
> > real numerical literals (well, the literals are likely to be in
> scientific
> > notation, i.e., floating point) to some data type of computable reals
> rather
> > than to floating point Double.
>
> The difference here is performance: under the hood, Integer values which
> can be expressed as an Int _are_ stored as an Int (IIUC anyway); however
> computable reals are almost always inefficient.

Yes, the cost for computable reals will be an order of magnitude or possibly
two for well-behaved computations. For not well-behaved problems it will be
much worse, but it won't return nonsense either. Also consider that the
difference between Integers and unboxed Ints is also quite big. I'll happily
to take the hit.