[Haskell-cafe] new focus for Happstack

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Thu Apr 1 10:31:42 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've been thinking a lot recently about the direction and future of the
Happstack project.

These days we hear a lot about technologies to allow servers to push data,
such as Comet, Ajax Push, Reverse Ajax, Two-way-web, HTTP Streaming, and
HTTP server push among others. HTML 5 includes something called 'Web
Sockets'. In short, it seems that the 'stateless' web model is a complete
failure. People want sockets!

Furthermore, the big sites of the day are 'social media' sites such as
Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Four Square, etc.

Well, it's clear to me where the industry is headed, and I think this is a
great chance for Haskell to be the leader.

  persistent connection + social web site == BBS

That's right! The return of the BBS is upon us. So, without further ado, I
would like to announce the happstack-bbs project:

darcs get http://src.seereason.com/happstack-bbs/

You can connect right now to the world's newest Haskell BBS. Simple open a
terminal which supports ansi & utf-8, and  run:

telnet hacketeria.com 2525

Patches welcome (and sorely needed!)

 - jeremy