[Haskell-cafe] Re: building "encoding" on Windows?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 03:22:32 EDT 2010

> From: Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>
>
>> A new version is due to be release
>> pretty soon (somewhere begin april). It has Mingw and Msys included, and
>> also some pre-built binaries like cabal and haddock.
>
> Plain GHC has included Haddock for a while now. It seems to me that
> including the entirity of MinGW and MSYS is overkill, but what do I know
> about the matter? I was however under the impression that to use Unix
> emulators such as these, you have to run everything from a seperate
> shell rather than the usual Windows shell.

MSys is probably unnecessary, but mingw is necessary to to get
configure scripts to run.  I wholeheartedly applaud including both of
these, because a lot more of hackage will really be just a "cabal
install" away.

MSys is the separate shell, but you can use mingw with the Windows
"cmd" shell if you wish.

> My hope is that the more useful C libraries will get added to HP so that
> I can start using them. (E.g., I'd love to be able to do sound synthesis
> using Haskell, but there aren't any libraries for accessing the sound
> hardware...)

I've gotten portaudio to work on Windows.  You'll probably need to
build and install the C portaudio library manually.

John