[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Uniplate + strict fields = fail. Why?

Dmitry Astapov dastapov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:58:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've been playing with generics in general (pardon the pun) and Uniplate in
particular, and found out that strict data fields somehow derail Uniplate.

Observe:
=== code ===

{-# LANGUAGE DeriveDataTypeable #-}
module Test where

import Data.Generics (Data(..),Typeable(..))
import Data.Generics.PlateData
import Data.ByteString
import Data.ByteString.Char8 as C

data Foo = Foo String deriving (Show, Data, Typeable)

tst1 = [ Foo "a", Foo "b" ]
test1 = [ show x | Foo x <- universeBi tst1 ]

-- *Test> test1
-- ["\"a\"","\"b\""]

data Bar = Bar ByteString deriving (Show, Data, Typeable)

tst2 = [ Bar (C.pack "a"), Bar (C.pack "b") ]

test2 = [ show x | Bar x <- universeBi tst2 ]

-- *Test> test2
-- *** Exception: Prelude.undefined
=== end of code ===

First, I thought that instance of Data for ByteString is somehow deficient,
but this is not the case.

If you change definition of Foo to "data Foo = Foo !String", you would get
the same error with "Prelude.undefined".

Since all fields in ByteString constructors are strict, I have no joy trying
to use it with Uniplate.

Howere, my type-foo is not strong enough to understand what's wrong. Could
someone give me a hint?

PS
ghc 6.10.4
uniplate 1.2.0.3
bytestring 0.9.1.4

PPS
Neil Mitchell is receiving a copy of this email

--
Dmitry Astapov