[Haskell-cafe] Any generic serializer to String? was: Any working example of using genericserialize?

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:19:38 EDT 2009

Hi,

On 9/30/09, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:

[skip]

> Seems like using withList is wrong or the deserializer is simply buggy.  It
> certainly doesn't work the way I would expect SExp reading to work.  I also
> notice from reading the source on hackage that there may not be any tests
> for this package and it is a 0.1 release.  I'd contact the author, as it
> seems there is a deficiency in the documentation or a bug in the
> implementation.

Thanks Jason for trying this. The genericserialize package is probably
not finished yet.

What else exists that could be used to serialize in generic way (i.
e., anything that is an instance of Data and Typeable) into a string?
It does not need to be very efficient as structures to be serialized
are not huge (but may be pretty complex), and serialization is a part
of an utility not to be used frequently. It only needs to "just work".

One thing I thought of was to serialize to JSON (there is a generic
serializer in one of packages although I did not test it other way)
which has higher overhead than S-expressions though.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky