[Haskell-cafe] Market Place for Haskell development teams?

Jörg Roman Rudnick joerg.rudnick at t-online.de
Tue Sep 29 20:00:50 EDT 2009

Alberto G. Corona wrote:
> Most successful languages spread because they are part of a platform
> which solves an IT problem. C was part of Unix, both brougth CPU
> independence when this was necessary. Java is part of the Java
> platform, that brougth OS independence and interoperability at the
> right time. .Download-execution on the client was also a reason for
> the initial success of Java in the Internet era.  Javascript is part
> of the web browser. The .NET languages are part of NET.  Rubi and
> Pyton came with libraries targeted to Rapid development of Internet
> applications.
> What is the vehicle that haskell can use to enter the mainstream?. I
> think that the mere interest of the ideas in the language is not
> enough.  Many people will play with Haskell in the spare time, and
> many of them will be permitted to develop some non critical
> applications at work. But that is all.  Java was not designed for the
> Internet but it was re-targeted to it because some needed features
> where already implemented in Java. Maybe something like that will
> happen to Haskell.
>
> I think that all the current niches are filled, but new niches  are
> coming. specially with higher level programming that is made on top of
> current sorware software infrastructure such are BPM, workflows, more
> flexible scientific applicatins, creation of  models in business
> intelligence, as part of ERPs,.Data mining too.  And higuer levels of
> netwrok communications( for example, Google Wave robots) etc.
I see one additional driver: Once a programming language community grows
saturated, its members tend to become fastidious, 'sales people' enter
the scene -- look at such Java etc. programmers proud to tell how much
money they are making. This impacts the goal structure, 'success'
becomes more important than 'doing interesting work' -- in consequence
the spectrum of engagement narrows.

IMHO, many customers just aren't involved into the language issue, just
wanting to get things done -- getting the better conditions, they would
not hesitate to adopt Haskell.

John Hudak (e.g. see his book) proposed Haskell to be appropriate for
the niche of for multimedia programming -- in fact, nowadays Anygma.com
(see www.nazooka.com) is active in exactly this field, some quote from
their side being interesting.

At least, it is quite funny that Haskell (together with Clean & Mercury)
after having long to struggle with exactly this issue, now can present
the deepest understanding (by Monad & Co.)  of IO, concurrency, state
stransitions and the like, so for the future, there might be a grain of
truth in it.

All the time, I am astound in how so few people achieve so much in
producing Haskell code! Keeping in mind that there are lots of
semiautomatic quality assurance techniques, for which -- though having
weaknesses in IDE's and refactoring browsing (how about the Portland
hackathon?) -- in some parts (e.g. QuickCheck) plays a leading role.

To me, Haskell seems to have proved one very important thing: To have
emancipated programming from the highly industrialized mass production
process focused upon huge organization and their hierarchy pyramids
(with, usually, the coder at its base). It emancipated code (== Haskell
(, although not Coq)) to serve as highest level of intellectual
presentation -- what I want to say is people have some joy in expressing
their special knowledge in a Haskell library.

I am very interested what will happen if the parcours of competition
will change from massively repeated but principally simple processes
(shops, business portals, communities, maybe even ERP...) to less
repetitive structures -- and inhowfar non-functional programming will
become a pain then -- is that what you mean?
> About the last point, sometimes a basically identical infrastructure
> is re-engineered to a higher level, and a new language takes over. For
> example, the  architecture of many Internet applications in the 80s
> was client-server based, where C, C++ was the king. This was
> substituted by  the web architecture with Java because Java was
> involved in the gradual change by filling the holes of the new
> architecture.  It could be that in a few years, instead of Web sites
> people could develop interoperable gadgets for aggregators such are
> netvibes or IGoogle or, even more radical, robots and gadgets in
> google Wave. Anyway, for sure, people will think and develop at a
> higher level.
> Financial applications are an example of higher level programming
> where tasks usually performed by humans are now automatized and there
> is no or few traditions about that. The need to think at a higher
> level without being worried by side effects and other details are
> specially needed in such kind of areas. That's where haskell could
> have its own niche.
This reminds me of the whole agent thing -- pretty much dominated by
Java (e.g., Jade, Jason, Jack) nowadays --, for which I would bet lots
things are done more straigthforward using Haskell -- especially those
parts the Java coders are usually proud of... Let's maybe speak of
*second order scalability*:

As first order scalability would rather be a matter in space time load
increased by repetitions, the concern of second order scalability would
be more about a *fractal* expansion of concepts like a *closure* --
Haskell, already in a vivid exchange with interactive theorem proving
(e.g. Coq adopts type classes from Haskell and dependent types vice
versa) seems excellently prepared... :-)

I ever tended to say financial applications are especially prone to be
boring -- the prototype of repetitive IT, even for strategy the stupid
'traffic lights cockpits' or OLAP(!) ... But this problem is rather
supply driven to me.

Going into business with Haskell means two things to me:

o   communication: To many Haskellers this will mean going to people
they just would not have met otherway and finding out inhowfar it's
possible to build up a constructive relationship with those. This is
emphasized for instance by the *XP / agile process* which harmonizes
very well with Haskell.

o    experience: Once having begun, I bet Haskellers -- and the Haskell
code base -- will learn at a fast pace. Outing myself, I admit I am
using tools like HaRe, Yi, Leksah & the Eclipse plugin too seldom to
allow my self doing contributions. Once these tools are in stronger use
I expect them to evolve at a very fast pace.

Under the bottom line, entering the medium sized project market with
Haskell should be regarded as a matter of months, not years. ;-)

All the best,

    Nick