[Haskell-cafe] Cal, Clojure, Groovy, Haskell, OCaml, etc.

Brad Larsen brad.larsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:57:05 EDT 2009

Don,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> brad.larsen:
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM, Hong Yang <hyangfji at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Maybe later on we can add an Example section to Description, Synopsis, and
>> > Documentation sections produced by Haddock.
>> >
>> > Also, having a section for comments is helpful. This is the case especially
>> > when there are several similar packages coexisting, comments can help people
>> > choose which one to use.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Hong
>> [...]
>>
>> +1
>
> I'd like to see people writing comparative reviews of libraries in each
> category, and publishing those reviews online.
>
> -- Don

If there were a comments section for the packages on Hackage, it would
lower the barrier to entry for writing such comparisons. :-)

It takes a good chunk of time to write up a detailed, informative blog
post, with performance measurements, etc. for competing packages.
Many people do not have the time to do an in-depth review of a
package; I am grateful when people do take the time to such reviews.
If there were a comments or review section on Hackage (a la CPAN), I
imagine that more people would provide feedback.

Another issue with the published package comparisons is an indexing
problem.  At present, the only way for potential users of a package to
find reviews is through actively searching for them via Google or
asking other Haskellers.  With a comments area for a package, one
could link to an off-site, in-depth review.

Sincerely,
Brad