[Haskell-cafe] An issue with EDSLs in the ``finally tagless'' tradition

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 11:41:08 EDT 2009

I would just like to add that Oleg and Chung-chieh made sure in their
finally tagless paper to use monomorphic lifting of literals explicitly to
avoid this sort of ambiguity. Using Num or another typeclass is fine as long
as all you want to do is evaluate your EDSL. But what about partial
evaluation? CPS transformation? Compilation? You might be able to muddle
through the first two, but compilation will derail your solution. Ultimately
you will not be able to work over arbitrary Num instances if you want to do
more than interpret. That was the main point of the monomorphic int :: Int
-> r Int, char :: Char -> r Char methods they were using. If all I know
about something is that there is a valid Num instance for it I have no way
to emit machine code for it.
-Edward