[Haskell-cafe] An issue with EDSLs in the ``finally tagless'' tradition

Brad Larsen brad.larsen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 12:30:24 EDT 2009

The modularity problem I speak of is that to add a new interpretation of the
DSL, I will likely have to modify the EDSL definition to add additional
constraints.  Ideally, I would like to be able to define the EDSL once, in a
module, and be able to write arbitrary interpretations of it in other
modules, without having to go back and change the EDSL definition.

Regards,
Bradford Larsen

On Sep 24, 2009 2:15 AM, "Luke Palmer" <lrpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Brad Larsen <brad.larsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 ...

>> I would like to see an example of this unmodularity, making use of the >>
polymorphism, so I can ...
> [...]

> > A simple test case, combining boolean expressions and arithmetic
expressions: > >    test1 = con...
Looks great!  So, where is the modularity problem?

Luke