[Haskell-cafe] code-build-test cycle

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 17 22:42:32 EDT 2009

I'm working on a GUI application in qtHaskell, and I have a bit of a bind.
Using ghci, it launches quickly but runs slowly. On the other hand,
compiling (mainly linking) takes a while---several minutes. The truth is
that I can compile it much faster if I selectively import the needed
modules, so figure the actual compilation/link time is more like 15 to 30
seconds. (This is Windows on a very old laptop.) I'm used to working in
Python, so I'm used to a nearly instant code-build-test cycle, and GUI
applications in PyQt run briskly, faster than ghci/qtHaskell.

Now I'm wondering if Hugs is a faster interpreter.

So during development I don't want to give up the quick cycle you get with
an interpreter, but the application may be much too slow to use in any
meaningful way without compilation. Any advice welcome. Maybe there is a
way to speed up the interpretation.

-Mike