[Haskell-cafe] loading object code with ghci

Ryan Wisnesky ryan at peerium.com
Tue Sep 15 18:27:05 EDT 2009

Hello,

I'm having some trouble correctly linking to externally generated
object code when using ghci.  I'm loading a Cabal package Foo, that
has already been successfully installed:

 >ghci -package Foo
ghc-6.8.3:
unknown symbol `_iceExePath'
package `Foo-0.1'

I have a file Bar.o which contains the definition of _iceExePath:

 >nm ./Bar.o
         U _ProcessInformationCopyDictionary
000000a0 b _exepath
00000000 T _iceExePath
         U _kCFBundleExecutableKey

The documentation at http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.8.3/html/users_guide/ghci-invocation.html#id307468
  says that:

"GHCi can also load plain object files (.o or .obj depending on your
platform) from the command-line. Just add the name the object file to
the command line."

So, I've tried both of these command lines:
 > ghci ./Bar.o -package Foo
 > ghci -package Foo ./Bar.o

but ghci still can't find _iceExePath, and the same error occurs.  I'm
using GHC 6.8.3.  I'm not sure how to proceed and would appreciate any
advice.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan Wisnesky