[Haskell-cafe] Do I have this right? "Remembering" Memoization!

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:00:56 EDT 2009

I agree with what you meant, but not quite with what you said. To be
pedantic:

> import Debug.Trace

> foo :: Int
> foo = trace "Foo" (bar 12)

> bar :: Int -> Int
> bar x = trace "Bar" x

> main :: IO ()
> main = foo `seq` foo `seq` return ()

main prints "Foo\nBar\n" showing that the bar is only evaluated once,
because foo is already evaluated, even though it is referenced twice. So
attempting to evaluate foo again just returns the same result.

 > baz :: Int -> Int
> baz x = trace "Baz" (bar x)

> correct :: IO ()
> correct = baz 10 `seq` baz 11 `seq` return ()

Though, as you said, call, you probably meant foo was a
function, and correct prints "Baz\nBar\nBaz\nBar\n" like you had indicated.

But pedantically even the function:

> quux :: Int -> Int
> quux x = trace "Quux" (bar 12)
> optmain :: IO ()
> optmain = quux 10 `seq` quux 11 `seq` return ()

might print only once if GHC at the optimization level selected recognizes
that quux doesn't depend on its argument and rewrote your code with more
sharing.

-Edward Kmett