[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: A Levenberg-Marquardt implementation

Maurí­cio CA mauricio.antunes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:30:10 EDT 2009

 >> Unless you think that extra-libraries is a good long term
 >> solution, I'll still investigate on how to add pkg-config
 >> generation to configuration scripts and try to send a sugestion
 >> with a patch to maintainers of libraries wrapped in bindings-*.

 > It is not practical to use pkg-config for such libraries. After
 > you persuade the reference code[1] of lapack to use pkg-config,
 > are you going to make ATLAS[2] do it also? And what about
 > Intel's mkl[3]? Or even lapack bindings provided by Nvidia's
 > CUDA[4]?

Sure. But only for packages we have direct Haskell bindings to.
You only need pkg-config available for the libraries you directly
need for a cabal package. For complicated dependencies, just rely
on your OS distribution (or Haskell Platform etc.).

 > I know it's hard to include every possibilities. But I prefer
 > some configuration switch that I can tune when building the
 > library.

The idea is just to provide a default, working configuration.
Anyway, I imagine this tunning should be done in a way that is
transparent to a cabal package.

 > That's been said, it is still your package. And people can
 > always change the build scripts for their own needs.

Not actually! I didn't work on bindings-levmar. I'm just the guy
who started the idea of having low level bindings packages as
basis for higher level bindings (so that this kind of problem
can be solved at the same time for many, say, levmar high level
bindings). That's why I would like to help acchieving good general
guides for easy building. Wrapping of levmar is entirely van Dijk
brothers' work.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/bindings-common

Best,
Maurício