[Haskell-cafe] Haskell#? F#?

Casey Hawthorne caseyh at istar.ca
Sun Sep 13 19:31:16 EDT 2009

The other morning, someone was telling me they had converted most of
their VB financial/stock market code to F#.
Whereas VB only used one core, the F# code used all four cores.

In one software developers meeting, someone was saying that since
database work is mostly all state, he didn't see the advantage of a
functional programming language.

It seems that, if you are doing at least moderately heavy
computations, F# buys you a lot of speed on multiple cores.

It now occurs to me that he was using an older version of VB, before
.NET or for earlier versions of .NET.

So maybe the use of multiple cores is now supported by .NET more so
than the progamming languages on top of it.
--
Regards,
Casey