[Haskell-cafe] Cabal install on Windows 7

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 05:58:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 20:19 +0100, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Duncan Coutts
> <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>         If the Windows users can come to a consensus on whether the
>         default should be global or user, then we can easily switch
>         it. The same applies for the default global or user
>         installation paths.

> I think it's morally right to run as user by default. Yes, the windows
> culture has some legacy that may, on occasion, make it slightly harder
> to use "well behaved" programs, but it's fairly minor these days.

So is it just a matter of switching the default, or do the default user
paths have to change too? Is there any recommended/sensible place for
installing per-user applications on Windows? (I think there wasn't on
XP, but perhaps that's changed on Vista/Win7)

Have you tried running with user as the default for a while? Does it
work ok?

Duncan